In 2018 Safaricom partnered with PayPal to facilitate transfer of money to and from its platform Mpesa to PayPal.
The move has enabled Mpesa users to make online transactions with ease, cutting the transfer wait period to 2-3 hours.
To be eligible to use this service, you must have a Kenyan PayPal and M-PESA account. Then you will have to link your two accounts.
How to link your PayPal and MPESA accounts
- You will need to log into your Kenyan PayPal account.
- You will have to agree to TransferTo’s terms and conditions for using the service.
- Add the Safaricom MPESA number you’d like to link to the PayPal account.
- You will receive a verification code on your Safaricom line via SMS text. Key in this code to complete the link.
How to Load your PayPal account with MPESA
- Select Top Up to Paypal to proceed.
- Enter the amount in USD that you want to top up.
- Click Calculate to get the equivalent amount in KES that you will transfer from your Mpesa account.
- Open your M-PESA, select “Lipa na M-PESA”, then “Pay Bill”
- Enter your phone number as the Account Number.
- Enter the Amount you are transferring.
- Confirm the details if correct.
- Confirm Mpesa transaction.
How to Withdraw from your PayPal account to MPESA
- Select Withdraw From Paypal to proceed.
- Enter the amount in USD that you want to withdraw
When withdrawing it is worth noting that the maximum amount per transaction is 150,000 KES and you can only hold up to 300,000 KES in your M-PESA account.