A custom domain is a unique branded name that identifies a website for example Google’s custom domain is google.com.
When creating a blog on blogger you are provided with a web address on the blogspot domain i.e. yourname.blogspot.com.
The yourname.blogspot.com address is great, but if you are serious about blogging it’s even better when you have your own custom domain name.
Why is custom domain important for a website?
Credibility – your own domain makes your blog look serious and professional.
Memorability – it’s no brainer remembering something like yourname.comis easier than yourname.blogspot.comfor your users.
Custom emails – an email that uses your own domain name, such as firstname.lastname@example.org
How to setup custom domain in Blogger blog
Setting up a custom domain in Blogger is a simple process that doesn’t necessitate having any special skills.
Foremost, you are required you’re required to purchase a domain name from a domain registrar like Namesiloor Go Daddy if you haven’t already.
Domain name registration usually cost between $10 – $15 for .com TLD. You can also opt for cheaper TLDs like .xyz.
Namesilo is my preferred domain registrar since their renewal price, and registration price is consistent. If you don’t have your domain registered with , you use this coupon code to get a new domain name for just $8.95:
When choosing a custom domain name it is important to bear in mind:
· The domain name should be short, between 10 – 30 characters.
· Choose a domain name that is limitless.
· Avoid using branded names.
· If applicable, add a keyword to your domain name.
1. Log into your blogger account
2. Click on Settings and Scroll download to Publishing
3. Click on Custom Domain.
4. Enter the domain name recently bought.
5. Click on the Save button.
6. You will get an error as shown in the image below.
7. You will need the CNAMEs mentioned in the error for the next step, so don't close the window.
1. In a new tab on your browser, sign in to your domain registrar account.
2. Then locate the DNS settings section of the domain you purchased.
NB: If you have your domain on Namesilo, locate DNS settings by clicking on My Account section, then click on domain manager, then select/check the domain you purchased, finally click manage DNS settings.
3. Now you have to add 2 CNAME records and 4 A-records in the DNS section.
4. Select the CNAME records section.
5. The CNAMEs to use are mentioned in the error encountered after keying your custom domain in Step 1.
6. First, you will have to add the www in the HOST NAME section, then ghs.google.com in TARGET HOST NAME/Points To area. Once done, save/submit.
7. Next, you have to add another CNAME record, whose Name and Destination are given on blogger error. Make sure to copy and paste them properly.
8. Once done adding the CNAME records, you have to add these 4 A-records in your domain's DNS settings.
9. Simply Add Symbol “@” in the Host and add A-records/IP given above, one by one in the IPV4 ADRESS/Points To section.
After successfully updating DNS settings, now, once again open the Blogger settings Tab and save the custom domain you previously entered.
If it generates an error, reload the dashboard and enter the custom domain again, then save.
Note: DNS propagation can take up to 48 hours. Wait it out and keep checking back to see if the settings have applied.
When through connecting your custom domain to your blog, please enable these settings.
· Turn on the Redirect Domain option. It will redirect all the naked domain requests to your domain URL with the www subdomain.
· Make sure to enable the HTTPS option. Blogger provides a free SSL certificate for your domain name.
· After HTTPS is available to your domain name, enable HTTPS redirect. It will redirect all your visitors to the HTTPS pages.
If you have trouble carrying out the above process. Do not hesitate to seek my help in the comment section.